The IELTS English Language Test is the most popular high-stakes test globally. The test is recognized by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and Immigration Quebec to prove the immigrants’ English language proficiency.
Here is some information and some tips that may help you ace your test:
1. General Training
This test is usually taken by those who wish to immigrate to Canada through the accepted immigration programs of the IRCC, such as Express Entry.
This test is usually taken by those who wish to study at a college or university in Canada or join a professional association where English is required.
Options to Take the IELTS Test
You will be given an option for where you can take your IELTS test, which is through computer or. written test.
Taking on a Computer based test
Make sure to familiarize yourself with taking the test on a computer by doing some practise tests for you to become familiar with the system functions and keyboard shortcuts.
How to Ace Your IELTS Exam
Overall Tips to Ace Your IELTS Test
- Familiarize yourself with the IELTS test format
- Know the timing, number of parts, types of questions, and task types
- Before taking the IELTS test, make sure you have taken a practice test
- It is important to take practice tests before taking the actual IELTS test because you will be able to determine which skills you need to improve
Tips for IELTS Listening
- Pay attention to context clues and the speaker’s language
- Underline keywords in the question and look for gaps to predict what information or words are needed
- Acquaint yourself with several accents (Canadian, Australian, British, and American)
Tips for IELTS Reading
- Be mindful of the time (20 minutes for each passage)
- Carefully read all text sections and answers to the questions
- Make use of your skimming and scanning skills to locate the crucial parts of the text
- Develop different strategies for different types of questions
- Build your vocabulary
Tips for IELTS Writing
- Familiarize yourself with the format of your responses and the language you should use to describe graph changes
- It is important to remember the sections of an essay: introduction, body, topic sentences, and conclusion
Tips for IELTS Speaking
- Make sure you understand the format and types of tasks
- Practice the three parts of the speaking test
- Improve your fluency and confidence
Would you like to know if you meet the minimum language score for Canadian immigration?
Book an English language test (select General, four skills). We can help you get started with the process of being in the Express Entry Pool by booking a consultation or giving us a call at +1-604-484-9474. We will help you determine if you are eligible for Express Entry and if you meet the language requirement.